Saturday, December 24, 2005

Happy Holidays

Yes, I'm in the "Happy Holidays" camp. Silly debate, if you ask me.

Anyhow, the holidays are drying up my posts, so I thought I should add something to let people know I'm still alive and kicking (if, of course, anyone is reading this).

I finally joined the WSBA family law section. Pretty neat - it includes a member-only listserve. I figure if I get to the point where I actually know what the posts are talking about, I might be ready to dive into practice. I had that theory before I added my name to the probate, trust & will email list from the ABA - and most of the time I don't have a clue of what they are talking about (of course, the acronyms don't help).

Is there any better time to open a practice? I don't have any mentors yet, but between all of these listserves on running a practice, marketing, and practice-specific areas, I feel like I have hundreds of people I can ask questions of. Not to mention some fantastic blogs (or "blawgs") on running a solo practice! Bless the internet.

Which makes me wonder, what's next? When I started law school in 1991, I bought a Mac Classic with 40 mb harddrive and 4 mb ram, and the "internet," if you could call it that, was text based. So much has happened in the last 15 years - what will the next 10 years look like in technology and the practice of law? Will the internet and whatever is next continue to make the practice of law better or will it make lawyers obsolete (okay - unlikely).

5 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Hi Solowannabee,

I enjoy your blog and am in a similar situation in that I am on the threshold of starting my own solo practice (over here on the east coast) and depending on the day/hour I am either excited and optimistic or a bundle of insecurities. My goals is to make the break (i.e. quit my current non-legal job) sometime in February and just go for it. I was struck by your post as I also started law school in 1991 with a Mac Classic and a stylewriter printer. If you ever want to trade emails on starting a law practice drop me a note to Stephen [underscore] a [underscore] evans [at] yahoo.com.

Steve

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Wannabee said...

Ah - the stylewriter - I forgot that one!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Carolyn Elefant said...

I too bought a Mac as my first computer - the Apple SE which I purchased in Fall of 1987 for something like $2300 for a printer and computer. I bought it after a rather unpleasant summer at a large law firm (where I was one of the star associates, meaning that I got to work overtime on extra assignments!) and it was the most money that I had ever spent in one place. Back then, hardly anyone had a computer, so I used to do resumes and cover letters for my classmates - resumes for $25, cover letters, $1 a page. I made several hundred dollars. After I graduated, I wrote my first published article on my Apple - and then tragically, a steam pipe burst in my apartment while I was away for the weekend, destroying my machine. Insurance paid me $600 to replace it which just wasn't enough - and that was about the last time I ever used a Mac.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Jaye said...

I haven't been a member of either of the sections that you joined, but I know that the KCBA solo listserve is phenomenal.

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Lynn said...

Hello - I'm a NC lawyer who has been on her own solo journey since February 2004. I just discovered your blog thanks to Carolyn's "My Shingle". Thanks for posting your journey. My e-mail is lynn.e.coleman@earthlink.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home