Saturday, December 03, 2005

I've Been Read!!!

I can't believe it - My blog has been visited by the Queen of the Legal Blog (or Blawg) on its very first post!!! I'm not being facetious - I've been following Carolyn Elefant's My Shingle for at least a year AND read her posts in Solo Sez AND solo marketing email listserves. [I'd recommend all these sources for an aspiring solo - very supportive and informative groups - but if you do subscribe to solosez, get a gmail account to help manage the hundreds of daily posts]. And she's read MY blog. (Funny how the blogging world almost creates its own celebrity!) And she's sent a link to a wonderfully inspiring article about her early years of starting her practice. I've never come across it before and I've done countless "solo practice" searches on Google. The article is like a direct answer to my previous post! One excerpt is particularly inspiring:

"Mistakes are inevitable. Sadly, I know many attorneys reluctant to go out on their own out of sheer terror of making mistakes. Indeed, when I first started my firm, I sought to achieve absolute perfection at every appearance. But soon I realized that no matter how many hours I spent obsessing and preparing, I'd still find myself in a situation where I would confront an unanticipated question to which I could barely stammer out an incoherent response or where I would struggle to reformulate my cross-eamination after repeated objections only to meet a judge's wrath or ridicule as a result.
But so what."

BUT SO WHAT. I love that. The world is not going to come to an end if I make a mistake. I've found if I make a mistake, chances are I will NEVER make that mistake again. And if its my firm - then who do I have to answer to other than myself? And I'm not going to make such a big mistake that it kills someone (thank god I'm not a doctor!)

Thanks so much Carolyn - you've definitely made my evening! I've printed out that article and I'm going to read it every day for inspiration.

BTW - this post sounds a little strange - but I swear I'm not a deranged fan - just inspired and grateful!

2 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger Scambaiter said...

Don't we all love Carolyn, us solo wannabes! She is a great inspiration. My other favorite is the Greatest American Lawyer; he makes a great case for going solo (you've probably seen the references to his blog on Carolyn's blog).

I'll be watching and cheering you on. If you look at my blog, you'll see we are in pretty much the same boat.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Carolyn Elefant said...

Thank you so much for that nice post. I really feel like I am blushing.

You probably never came across the article that I sent because it's pretty old and was never published in electronic verion. It is very special to me because it was my first published piece in Washington Legal Times (part of ALM publications). At the time I wrote the piece, I'd been in practice for almost three years and I was six months pregnant with my first daughter and not sure what my future would hold. So I got to thinking back on what solo practice had done for me and that's what I wrote about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home