Saturday, January 07, 2006

Wow - has it really been a week since I've posted anything? Time goes fast in the new year!

Thanks for all the great advice to my last post! And yes, you're probably right that I really don't need the color laser printer. I've always had this *thing* for office supplies. Even as a kid I really liked buying school supplies. I just look at the all-in-one color printer and drool.

Now a Progress Report: I've made it through Volume 19 of the Washington Practice Guide on Family Law, and am 200 pages into Volume 20. Amazing how small, consistent steps (in my case, 15-20 pages a night) will help you reach a larger goal (ok - so that's what time management gurus have always said - who knew they were right?). I read somewhere (I believe it was Opening Your Estate Practice) that if you spent one hour a day reading about a topic, then in 6 months you would be an "expert". I don't know if that is overly optimistic or not, but I feel in the monthish that I've been reading family law, I've come a long way. Give it another 5 months and I *hope* I'll be fairly knowledgable. My main goal is to be able to spot issues in a case to know I need to do additional research.

I'm thinking about debuting my practice in September. My daughter will be back in school, I should have some additional cle seminars under my belt, my part-time contract position should be finished (though it keeps getting extended), and my son will be in preschool 4 days a week for a couple of hours a day. So that's my preliminary plan, anyway.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if it would be better to take a pro bono case for experience, or volunteer with the family conciliator at the superior court (assuming the latter takes volunteers)? The benefit of working with legal services is that I get malpractice coverage up to 1 mil. for that case, and I might be able to get the name of someone to mentor me through the case (though, unlike Seattle, there is no formal mentor program set up here).

2 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger Brandon Wilson said...

I think whatever you do to get experience will be beneficial. If you volunteer somewhere and find out you hate it, at least you know what you don't want to do. Go get 'em!

"Opening Your Estate Practice" sounds like something I'd like to read. Can you give some details (author/ISBN, web link, etc.)? Thanks, and best of luck, as always!

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous open365dayz said...

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via cruises. Although I was looking for cruises I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home