Thursday, December 21, 2006

Building the Bankruptcy Book library

Okay, I still have sign issues, but I won't linger on it for this post...

Instead, I'm psyched to say that National Consumer Law Center has come out with their up-to-date "Consumer Bankruptcy Practice," 2-volume set for 2006. I've posted queries on a couple of different listserves for a good book on bankruptcy practice, and, without exception, this has been the number one recommended book. The only problem is that NCLC only had their 2004 book with 2005 supplement available. And I HATE law books where the supplement is bigger than the original text itself. So I waited to buy. So, now the updated book is out, and I have it ordered. Woo-Hoo!

I also ordered and received the "Consumer Bankruptcy and Chapter 13" and "Bankruptcy Issues" from Argyle publishing, which I received yesterday. Good, cheap, basic level books. My biggest complaint is that they don't include many examples (but the book does go through each petition and schedule that is filled out as part of a bankruptcy case, which is helpful), but at a price tag of $45.00, I figure you can't lose. Plus, its a 2006 release, so it includes BACPA materials.

Finally, I also had ordered "Consumer Bankruptcy Deskbook" from West-Thomson, which was a real disappointment. First of all, it was originally published in 2002, so it misses out on all of the BACPA changes. Second, the supplement is a mess. It is missing some pages, it contains different sections on the same page, so you can't just place the supplements with the original section, and the pagination is all messed up - on one side page is 128, on the other side is page 30. I called West, and the service rep said that there was no noted problems with the book and sent me a second supplement. Guess what. Same problems. I think no one has ordered this dog in years, so that is why there is no reported issues. Very disappointing, because if it was up-to-date, it would be a great resource given its depth of coverage. This definitely goes back as soon as I get the mailing label from West (and they better pay for postage!).

So, I guess 2 out of 3 isn't too bad.

1 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Dave Light said...

I just discovered your blog and wanted to wish you good luck. As managing editor of Consumer Bankruptcy News I find it refreshing to hear of someone who is looking forward to starting a practice that includes consumer bankruptcy. With all the complaining about BAPCPA I was afraid no one was going to venture into the consumer bankruptcy arena, which would be a shame because there are a lot of people in financial trouble that need quality legal care.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance to you. I'd love to hear how you're making out.

Dave Light
davelight@lrp.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home